Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, June 09, 2008

Carne asada en la crock pot


Back when we were still eating heated food I experimented with a pork shoulder. Inspired by slow-roasted carne asada, I plunked the pork into the crock pot with 1/4 of an onion, 1 1/2 cup orange juice, 2 canned poblano peppers (with some of the sauce), the stems from a bunch of cilantro, salt and pepper. I cooked it on low all day long until the meat was falling apart.

Not bad! It didn't have those caramelized bits you get from real roasted meat, but it was still tender and flavorful. Went well with some tomato-less guacamole (I was still holding out for the local tomatoes).

Speaking of guacamole, Jasper's preschool teacher was telling me how he makes his. He chops up his tomatoes, covers them with salt, and let the juices run out. Then he drains the tomatoes and adds them to the guacamole. Now that the tomatoes are here I'll have to try that.

No comments: