Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, June 08, 2008

A good potato salad

Still no word on pre-k, but let's move on to happier subjects.

I made a swell potato salad over the weekend: baby yukons tossed with diced guanciale and garlic scrapes tossed with olive oil and blue cheese. Mmmm! So good I didn't get any pictures.

Guanciale is cured pork jowls, similar to pancetta. I found it a few weeks ago at the Coop. I was trying to get advice on cooking with guanciale when Jasper climbed the yogurt cooler and fell flat on his back, yogurt in hand. The worst part was when I started laughing. Oh poor Jasper! It was nervous, caught-being-a-bad-mother laughing.

I also made a variation on a turnip salad from The Cook and the Gardener. For my salad I combined Boston lettuce, thinly-sliced (raw) turnips, cooked peas, and raisins and dressed the salad with hazelnut oil and some really good balsamic I bought just for summer salads. I just bought the first New Jersey tomatoes of the season at the greenmarket -- so exciting!

It's been HOT here and the heat wave looks like it's here to stay. This week it's going to be salads, salads, sandwiches, and salads.

1 comment:

Cafe Johnsonia said...

Oh...I've never heard of guanciale before. I'm always so inspired by your recipes. We're having potato salad sometime this week. This weather is so disgusting, I can't take it. We're doing the same thing--sandwiches and salad every night. (Maybe until October.)