Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, June 13, 2008

What do you do with kohlrabi?


They also come in green. Here's what kohlrabi looks naked.


I finally got around to trying kohlrabi. Everyone on the blogsphere compares it with the Russian spaceship Sputnik -- apparently we get all our information from Wikipedia these days.

Anyway, it struck me as another one of those vegetables that tastes better raw. To me it tastes a lot like a turnip. Since it's related to broccoli perhaps cooking will mellow the flavor -- I'll have to try that some other time. This time I diced it small and used it in a salad.


Combine the diced kohlrabi with one bunch of chopped arugula and 2 minced garlic scrapes. Cook about 1 1/2 cups qunioa, let cook for just a couple of minutes, and add to the vegetables while still warm. This will wilt and mellow the arugula a tad. Dress with balsamic and olive oil and top with raisins. We had some leftover rotisserie chicken so I added that as well as some nasturtium petals (I know, you add the whole blossom, but they just seemed out of scale with the rest of the salad).

3 comments:

Luisa Giugliano said...

In India it is sliced thin and sauteed with some mustard seeds and seasoned with turmeric, ginger, dried powdered fennel and salt and served with yogurt.

MissGinsu said...

Yeah, I prefer to munch it raw, but that might simply be because I'm not crazy about turning on the oven right now. I find kohlrabi makes a good substitute for cabbage in a slaw.

Swizzies said...

Kohlrabi here gets peeled and made into very wee strips like small matchsticks and dressed in some light dressing and served as a salad, just all on its own. ALL THE TIME. It's okay, it's just so ubiquitous that I'm bored with it. And it's boring. And plain. But not at all bad tasting. And probably good for me.