Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Beet this pizza


Hey kids, here's a pizza idea!

Layer one: tomato sauce
Layer two: grated fresh mozzarella
Layer three: salami or other sausage sliced into thin ribbons
Layer four: thinly sliced baby beets brushed with olive oil
Layer five: scant teaspoon minced rosemary, sprinkled
Layer six: globs of herbed goat cheese

I was super lazy and used flatbread instead of real pizza dough.

Ooooh, I do love beets with rosemary!

Jasper's favorite pizza is an Italian-American classic, zitti pizza. It combines two of his favorite foods together. The only way it could get better is if you plunked a scoop of ice cream on top of it. I think our local pizzeria uses ricotta, but I just used extra fresh mozzarella.


Layer one: tomato sauce
Layer two: grated fresh mozzarella
Layer three: cooked zitti mixed with tomato sauce
Layer four: more grated fresh mozzarella

4 comments:

Co said...

How do you grate fresh mozzarella successfully? I always slice it because I have a hard time grating it well.

Luisa Giugliano said...

Yum! Great for school days. Think that ziti pizza is an Italian "American" classic. I should know.

Adriana Velez said...

Oh you're right, Luisa! I remember you telling me that.

CO, I just used my larger-hole grater. It came out crumbly but otherwise worked just fine.

Veronica said...

I feel out of the know...I grew up in New York, I love pizza (NY Pizza), but I've never heard of ziti pizza! I'm going to keep my eye out for that and meanwhile try to make one like yours.