Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, September 04, 2008

E-Z 10 minute mac & cheese


Has it really come to this? Barely keeping the blog alive over the summer and I come back with macaroni and cheese -- and not even the real thing, but a quickie version.

Yes, it has come to this. Here are my excuses: the DNC Convention, my son's first week of school, the RNC Convention.

But back to the macaroni and cheese. I wanted to find something that lies between the deluxe, 40-cheese baked version and the version from a box with the depressing powdered cheese. This is it, and the proof is in the pudding: Jasper loves it.

1 cup elbow macaroni
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 cup grated cheese (I suggest sharp cheddar)

Did you know you can make a bechamel sauce with a microwave oven? It won't be the best you've ever made, but it's possible. But first, start by adding macaroni to boiling water and heating milk in the microwave for two minutes.

Then melt the butter and then stir in flour.


Slowly pour in milk, whisking well until thoroughly mixed. Microwave for a minute.


Add cheese in batches, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well. Most of the cheese will melt as you do so. Microwave mixture for 30 seconds after each mixing.


By this time the pasta will probably be done. Drain and combine with cheese sauce.

1 comment:

janeannechovy said...

That's funny--I used to do the sauce portion of mine in the microwave, too, until I decided I didn't want to get another dish dirty. :) So now I just make the bechamel on the stove in the macaroni pan after I've dumped the pasta in the colander.