Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, September 15, 2008

How to cook like the Olive Garden: a cautionary tale


I was making some not-so-special pasta the other night, whole wheat with grape tomatoes, portabella mushrooms, various herbs, olive oil, when suddenly I had a perverse idea: add honey! So I scooped out at least 2 tablespoons of raw honey and stirred it into the pasta dish. It tasted fine, interesting...

Lane tasted it and said, "Um, this is perfectly good and I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but the honey makes this pasta taste like something you'd get at the Olive Garden."

And there you have it. This dish shall never be repeated.

4 comments:

Diana said...

Oh you elitist Park Slopers and your disdain for All-American Classic Food. :-D

Cafe Johnsonia said...

I can't believe people still eat at the Olive Garden.

Hevansrich said...

(if I could type any smaller to express my timidity, I would..)

i'm with you di, I like the occasional olive garden...



or maybe it just tastes better when you wait 45 minutes for a table at the one smack dab in the middle of times square with your mom and sister, hoping to get in and get out before your broadway show starts...

Co said...

At least the Olive Garden doesn't still show those commercials in which ancient Uncle Lino or whoever comes over from the old country and to celebrate, his family takes him to the Olive Garden. Pulleeze. Only if you really, really hate Uncle Lino.

I don't mind if people like Olive Garden for what it is. Affordable, American cuisine loaded with lots of fat and salt. Not unlike Pizza Hut's new pasta line... macaroni and cheese with bacon? Um. I don't think my Napolitan relatives eat that. Nor do my Italian-American relatives. Now beans and escarole, on the other hand... But Olive Garden doesn't offer neverending beans and bitter greens bowls... They're missing out, man.

I often cook like a 1950s housewife, though, so I do not criticize your addition of honey to pasta. It's really tiny potatoes compared to the stuff I concoct sometimes.