Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, September 18, 2008

On the table by seven


Yeah! School is in session, and my game is on! Or however that saying goes. This idea of having a regular routine, getting Jasper to bed early every night, it very new to us. And contrary to my nature. Who knows how long I can keep it up. My secret? No recipes! No measuring! Just put food in pot, apply heat.

Tuesday: Pork chile verde. Brown cubed pork over high heat in a pot. Toast whole cumin seeds and then crush. Also toast two dried poblano peppers. Meanwhile, add chopped onion to brown with pork. Add toasted cumin and some crushed coriander seeds. Peel and wash several tomatillos, chop into quarters, and add to pot. Remove stems, seeds, and veins from peppers and add to pot. Add salt to taste and let simmer until a nice, thick sauce. Enjoy with tortillas, sour cream, lime juice, romaine lettuce, and whatever else you have on hand.

Wednesday: Pasta with guanciale and tomatoes, kale salad. This is my stock market crash special! Guanciale sounds special and expensive but it's actually Italian for economical ($5/pound at the Food Coop and you only need a little at a time). Dice about 1/2 pound guanciale and brown until crisp. Meanwhile, boil a pot of tri-color bowtie pasta. (oooh, tri-color, fancy!) Drain most of fat from guanciale and add chopped tomato. Toss with cooked pasta.

Thursday: Chicken, mushroom and rice pot. Brown three chicken thighs, skin side down. Turn, then add 1 1/2 cups sweet brown rice. Add 2 cups water. Yes, I know, measuring -- shut up. Bring to a boil. Throw in several whole shitake mushrooms. Pour in some soy sauce. Cover and simmer on low until rice is thoroughly cooked and sticking to bottom of pot. Realize I forgot the diakon radish. Think about making a salad. Wish I had scallions. Have a pear for dessert.

Friday night: I may go crazy and make fusion Italian-Mexican. I love the red beans cooked with pork at Bogota Bistro. Well, I have more guanciale and black beans. Close enough, right? Maybe some rice and some farmer's cheese, some avacado, and perhaps this time I'll make that salad.

No comments: