Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, September 26, 2008

What are you eating for the debate?

Fine, it's not the most important question I should be asking, but there you have it. I wanna know what you're having for dinner before the debate (or what you ate, depending on when you read this).

I made a chicken stew with blue potatoes, corn, and carrot. This is a stew made with a Bo Bo chicken. I was going to roast it, but then I read that these are older chickens so I thought... stew. By the way, my bird came with its feet attached. I know it's fashionable to be all snout-to-tail but personally, I could do without the feet. I can take it, though! Can't kill and clean a moose, but I can pull cooked chicken feet out of a stew.

What do you drink with chicken stew? This was another pressing question on my mind. Chicken usually goes with white, but that's not quite the thing for stew, especially on a cool, rainy night. I asked David at our local wine shop and he recommended Domaine Barry Cotes du Rhone. Herbal, light, just the thing. Now you know.

8 comments:

janeannechovy said...

I haven't been able to watch the debate yet--I was asked to sing in a concert for American Mothers. It went well, and nothing scary happened, but when I got home I thought America's Next Top Model was more conducive to pumping a bottle of milk than the debate. I think I'll watch it tomorrow with my third-grader.

Oh, dinner was ravioli (two kinds: chicken sausage and basil-three cheese) with butter and parmesan, and steamed cauliflower in three colors.

Luisa Giugliano said...

Semolina and sage dredged trout fillets over a salad of marinated late summer tomatoes and arugula, acorn squash puree, sauteed spinach.

Where did you get that chicken?

Adriana Velez said...

Ooooh, that sounds lovely.

I got the Bo Bo chicken at the Coop!

JA, watching anorexics encourages lactation? Is it a desire to feed the sticks? Interesting.

janeannechovy said...

thread-jack alert:

I'm not a long-time ANTM watcher (only the last few seasons), but I've found Tyra (faaaaarrr from anorexic!) and crew to be pretty sensitive on the weight issue, i.e., they get on the case of those who seem too thin. The only really skinny girl this season was already eliminated. And last year's winner was a "plus"-sized model (actually normal-sized in the non-modeling world).

Anyway, it was more conducive to lactation because it didn't stress me out. Tension does not encourage letdown.

ME said...

We went to a debate watching party at a Greek/Mexican restaurant in Ogden. The felafel plate and gyros were tasty. 'Twas fun to watch with an audience.

Co said...

We had chicken piccata with rotini and a simple salad with the veggies we had in our house, many from our C.S.A.

This Thursday's debate might call for a special dish though. Baked Alaska?

shaunamama said...

Since I was at work during the debate, I left the family some pork tenderloin roast in the crockpot cooking all day in a 1:1 ratio of picante sauce and brown sugar. I had a pan of black beans pre-seasoned with cumin and onion all ready to get heated up with a pan of quick rice with lime juice and cilantro in the water. When the hubster was ready, he just layered the stuff in ready made tortillas (never been able to make my own). They put a bit of cheddar on the top and everyone in the house actually ate them. (I'm usually making three or four minor adjustments in meals for my picky brood).

Next debate...I must make some comfort food...

Co said...

No, wait... for Thursday's debate, I will be making "half-baked Alaska"!!!