Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, October 20, 2008

Foodbuzz at Spice Market

Foodbuzz and Stacey of Stacey's Snacks hosted a fun dinner Saturday night at Spice Market! I was happy to see Nichelle, Yvo, and Yolanda again. I also met Comestiblog, Christo of chez what eat this.

My favorites from the tasting menu were the pork satay with pickled vegetables (cauliflower, red chilis, and jicama), mango salad with cherry tomatoes and chrystallized tamarind, velvety red curried duck, and snap peas with shitake mushrooms and water chestnuts. For dessert we had this crazy Olvaltine kulfi served with caramelized banana, whipped cream, and caramel corn. Fantastic! I'm thinking I'll have to borrow the bananas and caramel corn for Jasper's next birthday party. I especially liked the sprinkling of pan masala over the rich, gooey kulfi.

Some intriguing recommendations that came from the dinner:

Great tapas place in Philly called Amada has flamenco dancing after 10:00 p.m.
The Judgement of Paris: California vs. France and the Historic 1976 Paris Tasting that Revolutionized Wine
Navarro Pinot Noir (under $20, OK, I can do that in this economy)
Nalle Zinfandel
Apparently you can get Cake Man Raven's red velvet cake at Brooklyn Applebee's. Is the world turning upside-down???

With all the camera flashes going on you would have thought we had Bradgelina's twins on the table -- but that's dinner with food bloggers. This and the above list are why I love these events.

5 comments:

Yvo said...

Hey, it was great seeing you again as well! Thanks for sharing your tasting notes, too, I was hoping someone wrote down all the good information being passed around. Oh, and funny enough, this morning on my reader popped this http://www.norecipes.com/2008/10/19/no-recipes-vol-1/ and he mentions yuzu. No recipe, but perhaps he has a better idea of how to use it or what makes it special? :) Hope that helps!

Stacey Snacks said...

Hi.
It was so nice to meet you at the foodbuzz dinner!

Next time let's sit next to eachother so we can chat.
I hope you do try Amada in Philly, it is my favorite tapas place!
Stacey

Kitchen Gadget Girl said...

Nalle is one of our favorites from Dry Creek! I remember driving up to the winery, and there were two men sitting under the covered patio, drinking wine. They invited us over and introduced themselves - it was the wine maker and his son! They were so laid back and casual and made us feel immediately welcome. And visiting the winery was a treat, with its living rosemary roof covering the wine cave.

The said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Comestiblog said...

It was a pleasure to meet you. I enjoyed our spirited conversation and your insightful commentary about the food. See you at the next foodbuzz event!