Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, October 10, 2008

Pumpkin apple soup

A couple of days ago I attempted this smoky butternut soup recipe but, as usual, put my own spin on it. Not having a Williams Sonoma within walking distance (and not having time to roast my own butternut squash) I made do with this impressively flavorful pumpkin puree. I substituted about half of the chicken stock with buttermilk, and used milder shallots instead of onion. Instead of pureeing the soup in a blender I started by grating the apple instead of chopping it, and decided to accept a chunkier soup.

That's right, this version is even lazier that the original.

3-4 slices bacon
About 1 dozen fresh sage leaves
2 shallots, minced
1 honeycrisp apple, peeled, grated
1 can pumpkin puree
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup buttermilk
salt & pepper

Fry bacon in large cast iron pot. Set aside and drain most of fat. Crisp sage leaves in remaining bacon fat. Add shallots and apple and cook until soft. Add pumpkin puree, chicken stock, and buttermilk. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, finely chop bacon to garnish soup.

I'm thinking of making this vegetarian chard lasagna this weekend -- only I'll probably add sausage and omit the sugar. Have a great weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

ME said...

Our local Costco has Honeycrisp apples in stock. So grateful you turned me on to them. If only I could train myself to eat them instead of baking brownies...

The soup sounds divine. Must try it soon, although I think I'll sacrifice a couple of Galas instead.