Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Shana Tova

Most of you already know we're not Jewish. Lane and I spent the first quarter century of our lives in an intense religion and have more or less decided to take a break from religion for the next quarter century (or more) or our lives. But Rosh Hashana comes along and, maybe it's the intellectual tradition of Judaism, I find myself wanting to hitch a ride like the cultural hobo that I am.


Honey and apples are traditional for Rosh Hashana, symbolizing the sweetness of life. I can imagine that people have already created every apple/honey salad configuration possible, so I don't think I'm adding anything here. I made an apple and pear salad on arugula (bitter greens to remind us of the bitterness of life, not traditional for Rosh Hashana, just borrowed from Passover), topped with raisins, honey, and cumin almonds.


Since we had started the week with Ethiopian I kept the theme going with a Sephardic Ethiopian dish from Claudia Roden's Book of Jewish Food. It's a tasty black-eyed pea and lamb stew. I tinkered a little with the recipe, so here's my version.

Loubia
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 pounds lamb, cubed
1 can black-eyed peas
1 pound tomatoes, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or, better, 1 cinnamon stick)
1 teaspoon allspice (or, better, 5 allspice berries)
1 teaspoon sugar

Soften the onions and garlic in the oil and then add the lamb, browning on all sides. Add peas, tomatoes, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and allspice. Simmer for about 45 minutes, add sugar, and simmer for another 15-30 minutes. Serve with flatbread.

Shana tova to you!

1 comment:

MissGinsu said...

Oh wow... that looks great. I just stuffed the freezer with lamb, so this is perfectly timed for me. Yum.

-Miss G.