Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Heritage turkey, anyone?


My article on heritage breed turkeys just went up on Cookie! You don't have to labor over that gigantor Broad-Breasted White turkey--try out ye olde Red Burbon or Narrangansett! This year I'll be enjoying an American Bronze from the Food Coop. Gobble gobble.

Speaking of Thanskgiving, I'm listening to Ruth Reichel talk about Thanksgiving food on Leonard Lopate. Highlights so far, the best mashed potatoes are made with roasted potatoes and butternut squash is one of the great, unsung vegetables (Janet, take notice!). You can listen to the broadcast here. I was busy during Jamie Oliver -- heard his voice but didn't really listen. So I'm going to download the podcast and listen later.

I stole this image from wnyc.org.

3 comments:

janeannechovy said...

Speaking of mashed potatoes and butternut squash, the last time I made orange mashed potatoes I didn't have any sweet potatoes, so instead tossed in a carrot and some butternut squash. Damn if those weren't about the best mashed potatoes ever.

We're not hosting Thanksgiving this year, so I doubt we'll be having a heritage turkey. Got any great ideas for side dishes?

ME said...

One year a friend paid big bucks for a heritage turkey and it didn't taste appreciably different from the regular one.

Ditto on suggestions for side dishes. I'll probably be eating at my MIL's this year.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Oh, the tedium! The tedium!

Seriously, though. I've been on the look out for new and improved mashed potato recipes. I'll have to try this one out! Besides, I haven't felt tedious in a while and I'm starting to miss it a little!