Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Spaghetti squash: beyond spaghetti

My mom requested a recipe for spaghetti squash other than the traditional "spaghetti" dish in which the squash strands act as the pasta. I came up with an alternative last night, a sort of squash gratin.

Start by slicing a squash in half, scooping out the seeds. Steam the squash until very tender. Meanwhile, brown some sausage. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Once your ingredients are cooked, layer them in a baking dish: half the sausage, half the squash, fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary, and a generous amount of grated parmigiana, the second half of the sausage, the second half of the squash, more herbs, and more grated parmigiana. Bake until the cheese on top is toasted.

Depending on the sausage you use you may want to add some seasonings to it while it cooks. I used a spicy lamb sausage, so I left it alone.

COMING SOON: THANKSGIVING SIDES

2 comments:

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Wow! That sounds really yummy. I love spaghetti squash, but am always at a lose regarding what to do with it. I'm not keen on sauces on it and generally end up eating it buttered and salt-and-peppered. This recommendation I'm going to have to try.

Once again, Adriana, you save a squash from being tedious! My butternut, squash-loving palate thanks you!

ME said...

Guess I could do the same thing with the MASSIVE pumpkin I bought, not knowing that the ones that are good for pies are much smaller. I don't know if it will fit on a cookie sheet even if I manage to cut it in half.

I have baked acorn squash with butter, a touch of cinnamon, cranberries and chopped pecans. Mmmm.