Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, December 08, 2008

Back to basics


I'm going to start posting on what I made for dinner every night again. I may not get around to photographing and adding a recipe, but I'll try. Because what with the freelance work and various volunteer projects plus the holidays I need another challenge...

Over the weekend we made pepperoni and mushroom (cremini and chantarelle) pizza. I'd like to try this butternut white pizza soon--maybe with my own dough.

Tonight we came close to that pizza with our grilled cheese sandwiches, butternut squash soup from a box (this with curry stirred in--Imagine! It's Magic!), and spinach sauteed with garlic.

I taught a cooking class in Jasper's classroom today. We made rice balls with grated carrot and minced spinach. I got the idea from this recipe in the sadly defunct Kids Magazine. I cooked some heavenly sweet brown rice, toasted some sesame seeds, and chopped the spinach at home. Then I had the kids add the spinach and grate the carrot. I had to mix everything because the rice is pretty sticky. But the fun part is shaping the rice balls--messy! We also made a quick dipping sauce of soy sauce and sesame oil.

In the end, only a handful of the kids actually wanted to try eating the rice balls, and of those few only a couple actually liked them. But that's all right. The important thing, to me, is that they had a fun, tactile experience with non-sugary food. They familiarized themselves with some vegetables.

I think Jasper's teacher was sorely disappointed that I didn't make a sweet holiday treat. Tough cookies, though. The sugar ain't coming from me. I'm not about to turn into the school nutrition fascist and try to ban birthday cupcakes, but seeing how Jasper acts with sugar in his system convinces me that sugar has NO PLACE WHATSOEVER in school. Save it for after school and the weekends. If I'm volunteering my time and resources for my son's class it's going to be about veg.

Speaking of sugar, I do have a sugar post in the works. I just need to recharge my camera batteries. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Co said...

It sounds like the kids had fun making the rice balls. It's not so surprising that the fun was in the making them, not the eating them. I once had my students make models of atoms with gumdrops and toothpicks (red gumdrops were oxygen, yellow were hydrogen, etc.) and made a big deal about how no one could eat the gumdrops until AFTER we were done the activity. My kids had a blast, but in the end, I think only a handful actually chose to eat their gumdrops, even though they were all excited to get to play with gumdrops. Go figure.

mamacita said...

Good for you, sticking to your guns about sugar in the classroom. It manages to get in there all the time, in lots of different ways, despite a parent's best efforts.

Adriana Velez said...

Hi Mamacita--welcome!

Terri said...

Your cooking project sounds delightful and I think it's great you went with something non-sugary. Good for you!