Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas cookies


What does it mean to be compulsive, anyway? Just because I absolutely have to make peppermint candy cane cookies even though I have no desire to actually eat them. That doesn't mean Lane can call me compulsive.

Takes one to know one, by the way.

Here's the disappointing thing about peppermint candy cane cookies, though: if you use the goody-goody "natural" plant-derived food coloring the dough will be sort of more plum than red, and when the cookies bake they will turn out sort of sepia toned, which is charming for antique photos but not so much for cookies.

But more important than peppermint candy cane cookies are the spiced cookies. I believe I got this recipe from Saveur. Cookies are very personal. I don't know if these cookies will do it for you like they do it for me, but they just make me so very, irrationally, happy. They come out plain and brown, and it may not even occur to your guests to pick them up and eat them, which is good. More for you that way.

Spice Drop Cookies

Use a spice or cleaned coffee grinder to grind the following spices together:
10 allspice berries
5 cardamom pods
5 black peppercorns
1 clove
1 star anise
1 small nutmeg

Sift together spice mixture with:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Cream together:
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 cup sugar

Add:
1 large egg
1/3 cup molasses

Combine dry ingredients with butter mixture. Drop tablespoon-sized bits of dough on cookie sheet and bake 8-11 minutes. If you bake until crisp they will still have some chewiness to them. Marvelous.

2 comments:

janeannechovy said...

Ha! Too funny. I also made candy canes yesterday. Just need to post the pictures.

Luisa Giugliano said...

The spice cookies def. "do it for me". Wow. Thank you for bringing them yesterday. Thank you for knitting for our sweet girl (I am so touched). You are too good to be true. xxoo