Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

How do you make your chili?

I start by toasting some spices: chili powder, cumin, and coriander (wish I'd had whole)


Then I brown some ground beef and some onions--red in this case, which was a limited-supply compromise. By the way, grass-fed beef is so lean there's hardly any oil to drain. I'm just saying. If you're feeling especially virtuous you can skip the beef altogether.


Add some dark stout, maybe a quarter cup or so.



Then add beans, canned tomatoes, molasses, salt and pepper. I wish we'd had corn or other veggies to add as well as scallions and cilantro for garnish, but it was still good, especially with cornbread, especially the next day.


I was reading this recipe for spicy braised brisket from Brooklyn Farmhouse and thought it would also make a great base for chili. What goes into your chili?

2 comments:

mamacita said...

It never occurred to me to toast the spices -- great idea. Also, I put some cocoa powder into my last pot of chili and I really liked it.

megan said...

thanks for the shoutout! I love, love the idea of putting stout in chili - brilliant! can't wait to try it!