Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Onion goggles


I don't know about you, but I have been wearing ski goggles to slice onions for years. It elicits peals of laughter from my friends, but I don't care. I will do anything to survive my encounters with alliums.

I've tried keeping onions in the refrigerator, sharpening my knife before cutting, burning a candle--all to no avail. Nothing works like the goggles.

Well weep no more my friends, nor store your ski equipment in the kitchen, for the venerable King Arthur Flour is here to the rescue! They make onion-slicing goggles. Thanks, Misha, for the tip!

5 comments:

doggybloggy said...

slice them near the sink with the cold water running - it works

janeannechovy said...

Cook's did a trial of all the folk solutions to this problem several years ago, and the running water's effect was found to be no better than placebo. ;) The only things that had any effect were goggles, or, the clear winner, wearing contacts. They don't know why wearing contacts works, but it does. I must say I didn't used to know what all the fuss was about with chopping onions, but since I wore contacts for 18 years, I hadn't ever really experienced the full effects. I'm hoping to get back into contacts after weaning, and I'm looking forward to the allium side-benefit.

Sarah said...

Ah, thank you janeannechovy, I wondered what was up with me- onions have never bothered me at all, until a few weeks ago when I cut up a shallot with my glasses on instead of my usual contacts (I hate glasses and never wear them, this was an anomaly.) Mystery solved!! They must be like mini-goggles- though it makes me worry that maybe no oxygen is getting to my eyes either???

Paul O'Brian said...

Onion goggles! What an awesome idea. Thanks for the tip.

doggybloggy said...

you better tell all these people about the running water ;)

http://www.google.com/search?q=running+water+and+slicing+onions&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I am not sensitive to onions but I have tried this with people who are and it does seem to work....