Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Savory cupcakes

I've ranted here before about how I feel about sugar in schools, although if you bring it and I'm in the classroom I'll probably eat it. And fine, I was the one who brought a big bag of chocolate gelt on the last day before the holiday break.

But when Jasper's teacher asked if I was going to bring a treat for his birthday (which is Saturday) I said yes... something delicious but not sugary. I went home and lo and behold, there in the mail was the latest Cookie with recipes for cute mini meals you make with your cupcake tin. I pounced on the pizza pouches, altering to feed 18 instead of 6.

You can get pizza dough at many grocery stores and your local pizzeria, but not at the Food Coop. I made my own. Everything else I bought pre-made without shame.

1 cup warm water
1 package yeast
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
3-4 cups flour
pinch of flour
Combine yeast, honey, water. Proof in warm place until foamy. Combine with flour, salt, and olive oil and knead until smooth and elastic. Form into ball and let rise until twice its size.


I divided the dough into 24 balls and rolled each out into flat disks. Then spooned in a little sauce,


Dropped in a meatball and some grated cheese (hmm, must try these again with ricotta and ham sometime...)


Pinch at the top, brush with egg and milk, then bake. (UPDATE: line the cupcake tins with cornmeal!)


Voila, an explosion--


OK, it looks bad but they were fine. In fact, they were quite tasty. Do take care to pinch that dough together firmly. And don't let the dough in the bottom get too thin or the meatball and sauce will soak through, making them harder to remove from the pan 10 minutes after you should have delivered the pizza pouches to your son's classroom. Well, I made it up to Jasper by staying with his class for the rest of the afternoon. Oh, and another boy had his birthday today. His family brought Entemann's.

4 comments:

kevin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cafe Johnsonia said...

You are brilliant! What a fantastic idea. I'm totally doing these for my kids.

Luisa Giugliano said...

happy birthday to jasper noodle

Adriana Velez said...

All three recipes look good. I'm trying the potato chip frittatas next.