Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, January 02, 2009

What I Made for New Years

One of my Christmas presents from Lane was The Silver Spoon, which is sort of like the Italian Joy of Cooking only much, much more. I can't even begin to tell you why this book is so wonderful. Actually, I can--it's well designed and organized, it has charming illustrations, also there are the recipes... Clever Laney, giving me cookbooks for Christmas.

I put it to use for New Years. Lane hates going out for this holiday (something about the cold and the pressure to have a fabulous, glamorous time) so lately we've been staying in. I'm not entirely happy about this, to tell you the truth, but I made the best of it. New Years Eve I made antipasti from Silver Spoon with varying success. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say it will be a while before anyone around here agrees to endive again.


Mysterious creatures from the cheese lagoon.

The glazed carrots with lemon were very good, though.


For New Years Day we started with shrimp fritters and a yummy sauce made with cream, tomato paste, and lemon juice.


For dinner we had roast beef with a wine/vegetable sauce. It's a terrible picture--kind of looks hairy. But it was fine--a bit dry. I don't know about marinating meat in wine or vinegar. The more I do it the more convinced I am that it can only damage the texture of the meat. Great sauce, though.

And we had broccolini sauteed in garlic and lemon juice.

Finally, for dessert a crostata with chocolate, hazelnuts, and orange. Here it is, baking in the oven. This was delectable, not least because of the perfect shortbread pastry crust recipe in Silver Spoon--made with lemon zest. I will enjoy these leftovers.

No comments: