Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, January 15, 2009

You'll find me dining with Gyweneth here

I was at an event yesterday when Gwyneth's newsletter, Goop, came up. Turns out a lot of people are reading it, and love it or hate it we just can't look away. Even as I write this I am somewhat ashamed that I'm even posting about it (again!) and yet here I go.

So today's newsletter features some of Gwyneth's favorite places to eat in New York, and I was delighted to find the name of a Korean vegetarian restaurant I've been trying to remember for, seriously, years. I went there with colleagues once and absolutely loved it. In fact, it's what I have in mind every time I'm in the mood for Buddhist temple food.

And so, I give you my annotated list of Goop-endorsed restaurants:

Balthazar
80 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012
(212) 965-1785
www.balthazarny.com
Yeah, it's OK--if you have 2 hours to kill waiting in line for brunch. Skip the dining room and get their fantastic pastries at the little takeout counter.

Gramercy Tavern
42 East 20th Street
New York, NY 10003
(212) 477-0777
www.gramercytavern.com
Oh my, yeeeeessssss. Special occasions for we mere mortals.

HanGawi
12 East 32nd Street
New York, NY 10016
(212) 213-0077
www.hangawirestaurant.com

The Korean vegetarian restaurant I mentioned. So peaceful, too.

Kelly and Ping SoHo
127 Greene Street
New York, NY 10012
(212) 228-1212
eatrice.com/kellyPing.html

Usually packed, so try the off hours. It's fine if you're already in SoHo, but I wouldn't consider it a destination in itself.

Lupa
170 Thompson Street
New York, NY 10012
(212) 982-5089
www.luparestaurant.com

Keep in mind, Gwyneth is buddies with Mario Batali and I think she managed to slip in all of his restaurants. I like Lupa, too, and from what I hear his restaurants are all pretty good. But do see Yvo's review of Lupa. (For that matter, she may have reviews of the others on this list; if so, worth seeking her opinion.)

Sushi Yasuda
204 East 43rd Street
New York, NY 10017
(212) 972-1001
www.sushiyasuda.com

Oh yes. The sushi here is so fresh I even ate here while pregnant.

I've had Cookshop on my list of places to try for the longest time.

As for hotels--well, most of the people I know cannot spend $500-1000 a night to stay here. So via Sylvia who stayed there recently, here's my hotel recommendation for the rest of us.

The Pod Hotel

230 E 51st St. NYC, NY 10022


By the way, go here to read about LA Times reporter Mary Melton's attempt to follow Gwyneth's detox diet. Hilarious.

1 comment:

Hevansrich said...

My sister loves The Pod! She was just in NY this past weekend for a quick three day theater jaunt, and stayed there again. When I told her about your post this is what she wrote me:

"I love the Pod and hate to see the secret get out. But if she has done an expose about bedbugs or spy cameras in the room I definitely want to know!"

Nope, its all good.