Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, February 09, 2009

Cardamom eggplant


What did I cook last week? I can barely remember. Last week was a crazed blur and this week is going to be even crazier. I had to upload my last few photos to remember. Here we see my papadums--not from scratch, but I did fry them myself and they puffed up into these fun treats. Great with papaya chutney.


But the culinary highlight of the week (so far as I remember) was eggplant with cardamom in tomato sauce. I have decided that eggplant and cardamom make a great combination. I cracked about 20 cardamom pods and some coriander seeds into a pan of hot oil, smoked the seeds a while, then added one large, peeled, chopped eggplant and a little can of tomato paste (and salt to taste). When it was nearly done I also added some lemon juice. Surprisingly good, though not particularly photogenic.

6 comments:

thefoodinista said...

Love cardamom, love eggplant, can't wait to try.

The Fam said...

Hey Adrianna--I just found your blog and I love it! I'm always makin' dinner out here in Utah, too. Can't wait to try the apple/pork pie.

lara

Adriana Velez said...

Hi Foodinista and Lara, welcome!

Diana said...

I find that I really, really love eggplant best if it is browned -- either sauteed well, or grilled, or something else that caramelizes it quite thoroughly. When it's just cooked, I don't dig it.

I'm also temporarily off cardamom after I bit through an entire pod unexpectedly.

Kate The Great said...

What're papadums? They look really good and vaguely Chinese.

Adriana Velez said...

Papadums are actually Indian, not sure from which region. They are a kind of crisp flatbread usually made with chickpea, lentil, or rice flour. They don't always puff up like this--most of the kinds I've had were flat wafers, often with spices.