Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

French fries


This weekend I made my own baked french fries. (I'm too big a coward to deep fry anything--see what could happen?!?) Using the advice of Russ Parsons in How to Read a French Fry, I poached the chopped potatoes for about three minutes first. Then I dried the potatoes well and tossed them in plenty of olive oil. (You could use peanut or other oil.) I spread them out, salted and peppered, and roasted at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes until they just started to brown.

I suppose I should have stirred or turned them half-way through, but I didn't and they were slightly more toasted on the bottom--but not fatal. Still, I was happy with the results--crisp on the outside and fluffy on this inside. If you try this it is imperative that you use russet potatoes. It has something to do with the way the starches break down, but Yukon gold or red potatoes will not work as well.

4 comments:

Cafe Johnsonia said...

Good thinking. I will never deep fry again.

I actually like fries from the oven better. I love how perfectly cut your fries are, too.

mamacita said...

I tried to deep-fry okra once. And then I had to move.

Diana said...

I have yet to find a starchy potato here, or anything like a russet/Idaho. I kinda miss 'em.

Your fries look great. :-)

Adriana Velez said...

Crazy--how do the Swizz make their pommes frites?