Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, February 02, 2009

Not delicious: torched blood oranges


Some friends of ours were telling us about the roasted caramelized grapefruit dessert they had at Aquagrill. It sounded tasty and I started wondering if I could try the same thing with the blood oranges now in season and using my blowtorch. The only time I ever use that thing is to make creme brulee, and with a kitchen my size I like all my gadgets to be multipurpose.

I sliced the wedges and sprinkled the cut sides with sugar and then torched until the sugar caramelized. Alas, the oranges took on the propane taste--something that never happens with creme brulee. I suppose the oranges are too delicate for the blowtorch?

Oh well, the Ciao Bella blood orange sorbetto was still delicious.

I'll have to try this again, this time with the broiler. To be continued.

2 comments:

Music-loving Mom said...

Too bad! But very brave of you to try. Thanks for the fab chocolate btw. I was delighted by the discovery of milk dark!

Adriana Velez said...

Glad you liked it! I need to post on dark milk chocolate.