Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Plant-derived food coloring, I've had it with you


These were supposed to be red velvet cupcakes. But thanks to my paranoid artificial food dye aversion I keep using that useless plant-derived food coloring. And now look! I used about 3/4 of the bottle and the cupcakes aren't even remotely red! I could have used a lot more cocoa and make more chocolatey cupcakes.

When oh when will I learn. Sometimes you've just got to compromise and go with the toxic stuff.

4 comments:

Cafe Johnsonia said...

I thought of you when I was making red velvet bonbons last week. I kept thinking about what you'd say.

All that red food coloring is not good on the system...if you know what I mean. (But it did make pretty candies.)

Your cupcakes look very pretty.

shaunamama said...

I want you to know that I tried your sweet potato fries recipe with the olive oil and rosemary....
all I have to say about that is that they found their way into my dreams last night. Heavenly, wonderful tasty dream. The only food I ever dream about is usually chocolate..
My family LOVED them as well. Thanks Your Brialliancy!

Adriana Velez said...

Shaunamama, I'm so glad! I'm always worried that I've left something important out of a recipe or that it's somehow a fluke. With rosemary sounds even better.

MissGinsu said...

Food coloring gives me the heebie-jeebies, too. I keep thinking beet juice should make a good substitute (it certainly does a good job dying my fingernails), but haven't gotten around to concentrating any beets...

Then again, maybe red velvet doesn't really need to be red. Your cakes look just fine.