Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Quick! Get some osso buco!

If you're still looking for an at-home Valentine's dinner might I suggest osso buco? We had some last night. It's veal shank, though since I bought ours at the Food Coop it probably wasn't traditional veal. Anyway, it's very easy to prepare. This is based on the recipe in the Silver Spoon.

1. Cook some choppped onion in butter for about five minutes. Push to the side of the pan.
2. Dust osso buco in flour and then brown on each side over high heat.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste, then pour about 1/4 cup dry wine--or rose, if you're feeling romantic.
4. Let wine evaporate and add chopped carrots, celery, and bout 1/2 cup or more chicken or beef stock.
5. Simmer on low for about 30 minutes.
6. Prepare gremola--minced lemon zest with a few tablespoons minced parsley.
7. When beef is cooked, add the gremola and cook a few minutes more.

Some people like theirs with a little tomato paste mixed with water--you can add that in at step 4.

We had this last night along with these scrumptous creamy braised brussels sprouts from Cafe Fernando.

Lane and I had our Valentine's date Wednesday night and today, after a busy week, I find myself at a loss for tonight's dinner. I have vague plans for a leek and sweet potato soup.

2 comments:

mamacita said...

That looks great. This is the problem I had with The Silver Spoon, though -- I wished that it had a lot more detailed instructions, even at the expense of a little design "cred." Did you have the same problem?

Adriana Velez said...

I've notice that--the directions are very sparse. I don't think I've used it enough yet to run into any problems, but I suspect a quick perusal on the Internet could probably fill in details for some of the dishes.