Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, March 20, 2009

Going granola


You live in Park Slope long enough, sooner or later you will find yourself making your own granola. This recipe is based on one that some folks from Slow Food were handing out at the Making Brooklyn Bloom conference a couple of weeks ago. I'm so crushing out on Slow Food these days, by the way. Once upon a time I considered joining, except why pay $70 just to say you're a foodie when you could prove it by spending that money on a good meal? But then I found out Slow Food is also engaged in social justice and sustainability issues, especially with Josh Viertel at the helm, and that is what finally induced me to join. I think the Slow Food USA blog is very relevant and happening as well.

Anyway... back to granola. Here is my adaptation to the Slow Food recipe. I like it.

3 cups oats
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup flax seeds
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 cup dried blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix oats, seeds, coconuts, and nuts. Then pour in honey and oil, mixing thoroughly with a fork. Press into a cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until dark golden brown. About halfway through baking, turn edges into center to avoid burning.

When done, remove from oven and let cool completely before adding blueberries.

2 comments:

Emily said...

if you make this granola with unrefined coconut oil, you will pass out from happiness.

Adriana Velez said...

Well well, I believe I see coconut oil in my future!