Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, March 29, 2009

I Hate Tofu Challenge


(Image via Button Arcade.)

I'm just going to come out and say it: I really don't like tofu. I keep trying, and I think it's all right in a stir fry. But my impression is that it's just a sad replacement for meat. I've yet to taste a dish that brings out whatever specialness tofu has to offer. What is the essence of tofu? Is it really just a gelatinous Zelig-like ingredient?

I've started my spring cleaning by purging our apartment of any junk we're not using; at the same time I've been working on a mental list of foods and dishes I'm going to stop buying and/or cooking just because they're "good for me" or for the sake of variety. It sounds like this runs counter to my all-embracing, love-all-vegetables kitchen ethics, but I'm really sick of storing unwanted leftovers in my refrigerator. Just as I try not to buy/wear clothes I don't absolutely love, I'm going to stop cooking dishes I don't absolutely love.

So. This brings us to tofu. This week my vegetarian nephew was visiting us and so I bought a slab of firm tofu thinking I would put it in something. He came and went and still the tofu haunts us.

My favorite tofu recipes have been grilled tofu marinated in soy sauce and mirin, crispy tofu with shitiakes and chorizo, and grilled tofu with red miso paste and toasted sesame seeds--all variations on the same general theme. Basically, tofu tastes best when its browned somehow on the outside, loaded with savory fermented bean flavor (soy sauce or miso), and soft but not slimy on the inside.

What else? Do any of you have a stand-out, fantastic, can't fail, make-me-faint recipe for tofu? Bring 'em on!

4 comments:

Kate The Great said...

Nope, but I searched in all my bookmarks just in case I tucked some away. I didn't, but other people have: http://delicious.com/search?p=tofu&u=orangefluff&chk=&context=userposts&fr=del_icio_us&lc=0

You know, if you were really SEARCHING for that kind of stuff.

Emily said...

I'm not even convinced that it's THAT good for you. The jury is out on that one, as far as I'm concerned. The more tofu tastes, feels and smells like meat, the more friends it has. It undoubtedly has very low self-esteem . . .

Swizzies said...

I've never made this one (obviously), but it sounds kinda promising...?

Worth a try??

- Di

http://stoveria.blogspot.com/2009/03/tofu-schnitzel-dreams.html

this week for dinner - jane maynard said...

I don't believe such a recipe exists. ;)