Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, March 16, 2009

What chocolate cake needs


One food trend I can't get enough of is the salted chocolate, especially with caramel. I'm thinking Fran's Salted Caramels, Baked Sweet-and-Salty brownies.

I made my favorite almost-flourless chocolate cake recipe this weekend and after years of loving this cake for years it suddenly seemed devoid of something...salt! I first tried a slice sprinkled with sea salt and that was definitely an improvement. But clearly the cake needed a luscious layer of caramel as well.

This gave me the opportunity to try something I've been thinking of doing for a while--make my own dulce de leche. All you have to do is plunk an opened can of sweetened condensed milk in a pot of water and stir for a few hours! Needless to say I did not have the patience to stir the entire time and mine turned out lumpy. Still, with the addition of salt and a few teaspoons of butter I got exactly what I was looking for.

If you don't feel like making your own dulce de leche (and who can blame you?) try the store-bought version with some salt sprinkled atop.

3 comments:

janeannechovy said...

A, I tried Lindsey's method for making dulce de leche (simmering unopened cans in copious amounts of water for 2.5 hours) and it worked great. I also heartily recommend her recipe for dulce de leche ice cream. Yum.

I made caramels on Friday, and this time remembered to add the salt. What a difference it makes.

Adriana Velez said...

Thanks JaneAnne, I should have thought to look at Lindsey's blog in the first place! Here's the link:

http://cafejohnsonia.blogspot.com/2008/03/have-you-tried-dulce-de-leche.html

My mom also wrote to tell me I can keep the cans sealed. Geez, where'd I get the idea of opening and stirring, anyway?

janeannechovy said...

Well, I've definitely heard the open-can thing before, but usually just poking a hole in the top (which means you can's totally cover the can in simmering water). I think some people are worried that the cans might explode or something. I guess they don't know how canned food is processed, which pretty much always includes running the sealed cans through cookers (I worked in a fruit cannery during my college summers).

Now I've got to add dulce de leche (and dulce de leche ice cream) to my dessert recipe queue!