Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Brooklyn Food Conference


I know, I know. I don't write. I don't blog.

It's been a struggle to keep up this blog because I've been incredibly busy working for the Brooklyn Food Conference. I'm the website and literature coordinator (two jobs which probably should have been handled by two different people), and it's been exciting, challenging, terrifying, exasperating, draining, thrilling. This is my first experience with real grass-roots volunteer work. In fact, this is a FREE conference run almost entirely by volunteers, which is insane. But somehow we're making it happen.

The conference will feature workshops for adults on everything from composting to starting your own food coop. There will be a panel of New York City chefs moderated by Leonard Lopate. Raj Patel and other food writers/activists will be speaking. There will be a Teen Iron Chef competition and a Kids Food Fair. It's just going to be amazing and I'm so excited!

This effort has been filling in every available smidgen of my available time, but I think it's all going to be worth it. Last week was especially crazy because Jasper was on spring break. We don't exactly have the funds to pay for childcare while I do my volunteer work (ahem) so I was trying to catch up every night after he went to bed. But it was also a fun week--we went to the movies, bought and planted seeds, went to the aquarium, the beach (chilly!), did the kiddie rides at Coney Island, and just hung out playing games and making Bob out of play dough.

At some point in the near future I probably should try and get a paid job. But in the meantime, I'm so glad I can steal a little time for a passion project and to play with my son.

1 comment:

Co said...

That is very cool. I don't think I can come unless I can find a sitter. Jo is way too young even for the kids' events. But this is really a great-sounding event.