Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, April 06, 2009

Candy yes


Notwithstanding my militant stand against sugar in savory foods and candy in the classroom, I will still be filling little plastic eggs with candy for Jasper this Easter. Here's the loot I picked up at Blue Apron--a store that reminds me of Willy Wonka's candy store only it's even better because it also carries my favorite cheeses and duck liver pate.

It's still candy, but the Green Beans jelly beans are made with natural fruit juice concentrate, which makes for especially tasty beans. Jasper calls the rainbow-colored licorice whips "energy cords." I used a couple for a baking project and within minutes he and some friends finished off the rest of the bag. (So much for them!) The white bar with a flower is a crisp rice bar coated in white chocolate. And the gorgeous robins' eggs are chocolate caramel; these are my favorite. Jasper is also getting some marzipan fruit we saw at a different store and some non-edible Tintin comic books--all he wants me to read to him these days.

Meanwhile, Jasper's school teacher heard our pleas and is holding an Easter egg hunt with toy-filled eggs instead of candy-filled. I contributed some marbles, stickers, and Hello Kitty stamps. Other non-edible ideas are polished rocks, bouncy balls, egg-shaped sidewalk chalk, and mini markers.

5 comments:

Cafe Johnsonia said...

I need your militant stance to rub off on me. My kids are sugar fiends and I think my baking habit just keeps it going. Or maybe is it that they inherited it from me? Hard to say.

I'm going to be on the look out for those jelly beans around here.

Cafe Johnsonia said...

Wait--are those jelly beans only available online?

Adriana Velez said...

I really struggle with it, too. We have sugar coming at us from all directions and I end up saying "no" to this and getting caught off guard by sugar from another source and saying "yes" to that, but I'm trying to be more consistent.

Our pediatrician told us about what the Icelandic kids do--they save all their candy for Saturdays! Sounds like a reasonable compromise. We also generally try to keep desserts for the weekends, but somehow fruit-based popsicles keep making an appearance mid-week.

Adriana Velez said...

I don't know where else you can get those jelly beans--but I gather Whole Foods (or is it still Wild Oats in UT?) would have either the same kind or a similar naturally-flavored bean.

ks said...

Yesterday at a work event there was this adorable baby girl, roughly a year old, whose mother had so far kept all processed sugar from the little bebe. Mom was feeding her tiny bits of strawberries, then the hosts of the party brought out a giant platter of gourmet brownies. Dad threw caution to the wind and gave baby girl a little bite. It was AMAZING to see how her eyes lit up when she tasted the forbidden (non)fruit. There's no going back to strawberries, sadly. This child is ALL ABOUT CHOCOLATE now. Interesting lesson for a non-parent to observe. I think you do the best you can. Whatever you do is probably better than the way we were all raised...no?