Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pagan Passover


For the past few years we have been fortunate enough to spend Passover with friends. But alas, these friends divorced last year, and the Art-world Ecumenical Seder Dinner Party is no longer. I was feeling a little bereft this year. All our other Jewish friends have family in or near the city. And so, even though I'm descended from Mexican Catholics, I planned our own Seder. I used a Haggadah written for kids and, since mid-week didn't work for us, we held it on Sunday.

I've been very busy lately and couldn't plan much ahead, but we all really liked it. I have to confess, I used Z Crackers instead of real matzoh. And we had Zinfandel instead of Manishevitz, but at least it was kosher! Jasper made us hide the afikomen for him to find over and over again.

You see, Lane and I are strangers in a strange land, having left the religion of our birth. We're not really looking for a replacement religion--but we do keep reaching for other narratives and rituals. I love the Passover Seder because it celebrates questioning and because its rituals revolve around food. So maybe we'll do this every year--celebrate spring with our own Pagan Passover.

2 comments:

liz said...

I miss that about NY- having friends and knowing people of all different religions and backgrounds. It's hard to find friends in AZ that are different than me, it makes it a little slower to grow and learn about other cultures that way. I guess it just takes more effort whereas in NY that's just the way it was. 'Different' was in your face if you wanted it or not and what a beautiful thing it is.

this week for dinner - jane maynard said...

I had visions of cooking bunches of seder foods this year...the ingredients are still sitting on my counter. good job, adriana! I'll get around to it one of these days...