Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sprouting Seeds

I don't know why I'm always so surprised when I plant seeds and they actually sprout into plants, but I'm so excited about our tiny crops. Last week Jasper and I planted some seeds indoors, and look what's already happening!


A few weeks ago I planted sweet pea seeds outdoors and they've just started popping out. I put in some poppy seeds next to them.


I've involved Jasper in my gardening projects as much as I can. It takes some patience to show kids how gentle they need to be, and I did scare Jasper off a little by panicking at his first efforts (freak-o mom...). But he recovered and is still interested in the lives of our plants. He keeps insisting that his Bionicles help me as well, so we use their creepy weapon-claw-things to do some of the digging. Talk about beating swords into plowshares.


My sage, thyme, and tarragon survived the winter and a flourishing this spring. Here we are planting a new rosemary plant. While we were there I crushed a few leaves of each herb for Jasper to smell. He liked all of the flavors, especially the rosemary. "Mom, you should cook something with that!" Oh happy words! I made him rosemary mashed potatoes that night. I freaking love this about growing your own herbs.

1 comment:

doggybloggy said...

NICE! You know it doesnt matter how old I get I still feel that excited fascination when seeds sprout.