Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Brooklyn Food Conference Afterglow


I have a lot of catching up here, especially about the Brooklyn Food Conference--which was phenomenal! Near the beginning a band arrived. I don't know who they were, but they really set the tone.

I spent most of my time at the conference running around helping other volunteers, but I did get to see the opening speeches by Brooklyn Borough Prez Marty Markowitz, Dan Barber, Raj Patel, and LaDonna Redmond. All were great, but Patel is an especially witty and entertaining speaker. I also made it to a workshop on school lunch. And I did a brief turn through the exhibitions, filled with businesses and non-profits. Amazing--so many people involved in so many sustainable practicies!

I have to hand it to the conference organizers, the whole thing seemed to run incredibly smoothly. We had over 400 volunteers (I hear possibly up to 600). Not everything ran perfectly--I know there were people with dinner reservations whose names did not and up on the list, much to my dismay (this was partly my responsibility). But there were workshops aplenty, places for everyone to go, lights worked, outlets and even laptops found, information distributed, and so much inspiration ignighted.

In all, it looks like we had over 3,000 people in attendance.

Best part for me is when I finally took off my giant, yellow volunteer t-shirt, was handed a glass of wine by one of the conference organizers, and enjoyed a delicious dinner with my family, friends, and fabulous music.


I've spent today recovering in my pajamas, watching Marley and Me. Because I'm brain dead.

If you missed it and would like to find out what all the fuss was about, check out Paige Churchman's summary on the BFC blog.

We got a nice write-up from the New York Times Diner's Journal.

Read Miss Ginsu's post on the conference.

Read all the Tweets covering the conference. I loved being able to follow what was happening in other workshops. Too much? Maybe, but this is the future.

Thank you, Brooklynites, for supporting this conference! I think this is what it feels like to reach the tipping point of the good food movement.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

I was glad to read that you felt brain dead today, Adriana - because I am feeling the same, and was wondering why. So much adrenalin to keep going, the past few weeks especially, and now it is over. The conference went amazingly smoothly. The vendors' halls were big parties. The dinner was incredible - did you try that runny ripe cheese? After a taste of that, that's all I wanted to eat!

Adriana Velez said...

I did try the runny cheese--it was outrageous! I don't know where exactly it came from, but it may have come from one of our many, generous in-kind donors:

http://brooklynfoodconference.org/donors/

MissGinsu said...

Thanks so much for directing me to the meal information, and thanks as well for helping to put on a fun and informative event.

It was a joy to see so many people so passionate about food and the way it impacts our lives.

Frankly, I was a bit doubtful that such an ambitious (and young) project could possibly come together with such an air of confidence and organization. Nicely done!