Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, May 15, 2009

Rhubarb and ramp braised ham steak with Campari sauce


As I mentioned the other day, you need to help rhubarb out a little with either sugar or a rich meat, or maybe both. I recently tried Jessie Cool's lamb with rhubarb and strawberries and loved it; last night I borrowed some of those ideas for a ham steak.

First I browned the ham steak, then I added about 1 cup chicken stock, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/3 cup brown sugar (yikes!), a little salt, minced rosemary, chopped rhubarb, and chopped ramp bulbs. Once it came to a simmer I placed the ramp greens over the top. After simmering covered for an hour this made for tasty ham, but the rhubarb turned almost gray. If I were to do this again I would add the rhubarb and ramp greens only during the last 20 minutes.

But here is the fun part! After I removed the ham and rhubarb I deglazed the pan with butter and then Campari, then added back all the cooking juices and reduced, reduced, reduced, until I ended up with a glossy, sweet-sour-barely-bitter sauce. Campari and rhubarb--a nifty combination. I must experiment more with those two.

No comments: