Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Raw


First of all, it was not my intention to leave the Craigsicle up for so long. I'm a little embarrassed now.

But what's even better? Finally finding a source for raw milk! After years of deliberation and procrastination, I have signed up for one of those farm delivery services. This week's delivery included this gallon jar of raw milk (yes, it is hard to pour from a jar), kefir, yogurt, buttermilk, eggs, chicken, dreamy sourdough sandwich bread, and sweet delicate lettuce. I'm kicking myself now for not ordering the butter as well because it looked amazing.

So why raw? Well, so long as the cow is grass fed, hormone/antibiotic free, and otherwise sustainably raised, and as long as the milk is handled safely (easier done on a small, independently-owned farm), raw milk has numerous health benefits (more CLAs for starters) and contains its own antibacterial agents. It's also richer and more delicious. I'm doing this partly because I want to help support small, local farms and because when you buy food directly from a farm it's usually just yummier.

You can't just buy raw milk in the store here in New York. You can only buy directly from the farm or buy a share of a cow. It's complicated. One of the reasons I've put it off for so long is because, while what I'm doing is entirely legal, there's a clandestine aura about buying raw milk. I kept picturing myself on a street corner somewhere singing "I'm Waiting for My Man." But once you get all set up it's almost as easy as going to the farmer's market.

3 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, YEAH, baby. Congratulations! You'll never want cooked milk again.

doggybloggy said...

how can I get in on this?

Luisa Giugliano said...

i want in too